Sunday 14 September 2014

Dinner for one?

Hello guys! 

There's something that I went through while living alone that gave me a lot of problems and difficulties in making a decision. 

Then if problem was dinner. Living alone sometimes leaves you to have your own dinner. Why do I only face the problem for dinner? That's because breakfast is quite simple and usually a to-go. Lunch time is usually when I'm out or when I'm in I'll just eat leftovers from the night before. Dinner was the big issue because I don't eat leftovers that are kept for more than 24 hours. Also when I do have leftovers, I'll have lunch at home. The thought of cooking a meal for just one is really not so great as it's a wasted effort. 

I've decided to help those who are currently facing this...problem. Here's a list of what you can do if you're having dinner for one. All these meals are ready to eat in 20-30mins once you've started. 

1. Sandwich 
This is really simple. You don't need many ingredients. I've worked with just vegetables and it tastes amazing, plus the added nutrients your body enjoys. Sandwiches goes many ways. You can have PB&J to ham and cheese. It really depends on what you have to work with. 

2. Pasta 
I know, pasta seems like a real chore to cook. What I've bought is the instant pasta. It cooks in 7-8 mins in boiling water and either make simple tomato sauce or just heat up those instant sauces that come in glass jars. Those aren't the best but it's simple and feeds you enough. I wouldn't recommend doing it very often; you'll get sick of it haha. 

3. Pancakes
Yes, breakfast for dinner! The amazing thing about pancakes is that you can keep the batter for quite a long time in the fridge. All you need to do is make 2 or 3 depending on how hungry you are and that would not take more than 15 mins, and just have some peanut butter or Nutella on the side if not the traditional maple syrup would do just fine with a couple of fruits. If you're feeling adventurous, you can eat it like you would with prata. 

4. Chicken Kebabs
You'll just need boneless chicken fillets or chicken breast that you can purchase frozen at the local grocery store. Dice the chicken into bite sized cubes. Marinade it in however you want (you can request on twitter @ellysharday or comment down below if you want some recipes), then use a skewer to skew some chickens, pineapples, bell peppers, or whatever else you have and bake them till it's ready to eat. This might take a little longer than the others but one good thing is that you can prep everything on one day, skew everything, then keep it refrigerated so it's ready to be in the oven whenever you want it! 

5. Bagels 
Something really simple and filling. Get some bagels, toast them, add some cheese, maybe ham if you like, some veggies and you have a nice scrumptious meal for dinner.


These are the 5 meals that I made whenever I had to make dinner for one. I changed up everytime so it's not the same thing. Tweet me @ellysharday or comment down below if you'll like me to share the recipes I've used or created. It's really not that hard living alone, despite what many others have said. They're just scaring you. Hope you like what I've shared! 


xoxo, elly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment